- List some unique safety and health challenges, and some general safety and health regulations, for surface coal mines.
- Describe the dust sampling and controls required for surface coal mines.
- Outline some safety and health regulations that apply to the surface installations and plant equipment at the mine.
- Describe some safety and health regulations that apply to the mine’s electrical equipment and components.
- Outline some safety and health regulations that apply to various mining methods.
- List some safety and health regulations that apply to transporting people and materials at the mine.
Available in English, Spanish
The purpose of this lesson is to provide surface coal mining contractors with an awareness of the federal safety and health regulations that apply specifically to surface coal mines. The federal safety and health regulations for surface coal mines overlap significantly with the regulations for metal and non-metal surface mines that are covered in the MSHA 8-hour refresher-training curriculum. This course is intended as an optional course within that refresher-training curriculum, providing a broad overview of coal surface mining regulations and highlighting the safety and health topics that are especially relevant at surface coal mines.
Sign up to receive free safety resources from Vivid.
Subscribe for Safety ▸